Friday, January 16, 2015

Changes . . .

Some of you have I'm sure been wondering where this blog is going.  As best I can, I will try to explain it to you.

Due to the possibility of having to engage in a job search at some point in the future, and knowing of the habit of some employers of searching the web for a potential employee's 'tracks', I have considered whether it is wise to have my thoughts so openly available on the World Wide Web.  While I have doubts about this, this is such a labor of love that I will continue it, at least for the time being.  I think it's sad that Americans even have to think in these terms; that we have to consider that our personal opinions may be used against us for employment purposes; that our performance on the job, past or present, may not be enough to consider whether we should be employed in the future.

Then there is another consideration:  whether our expression of our opinions will be used against us by government.  I find the fact that we have to consider this possibility to be truly odious.  Along with I'm sure the rest of you, I was truly alarmed to find out that apparently, organizations which could be identified with certain political or social causes were targeted by the Internal Revenue Service for harassment.  If this was done to organizations, and I believe that it was, I consider it illogical to assume that this was not also done to individuals.  I have recently had my difficulties with the I.R.S.  While I certainly did 'ask for it' in certain ways, considering events of the last few years I have to wonder whether I have been targeted. 

I have many times considered closing this blog; I have wondered whether it would be better for me and for my loved ones to simply 'go underground'; that is, to quietly prepare for that moment at which at least some of us will go more completely 'off the grid'.  I assure you that such a moment could arrive.  At right about these times, though, that nagging thought begins to appear in my head; that thought which says that it's absolutely essential for good Americans to STAND UP; to STAND TALL AND BE COUNTED; to STAND UP AGAINST TYRANNY (Right now the iron hand is in the velvet glove; however, I believe that there are forces in this nation and beyond which would not be at all above taking off that velvet glove; all they need is the right circumstances.)

I will also admit several other things to you:  I have a 'day job'; in fact, I run a business which takes a considerable amount of my time.  I work about 35-60 hours per week.  I know that for some of you that may not seem much; however, due to personal considerations, it is enough to plain tucker me out!  So, I do not have the time at this point to do personal research.  Thus, I will probably be linking to a great deal of material.  I cannot always vouch for its' veracity.  However, I will use my best judgement as a former beat reporter, news writer and newscaster and as a lifelong devotee to knowledge of politics and current events (Yes, literally since I was five!) as to whether to trust a source.  If I suspect its' trustworthiness, I will not use it.  However, ultimately you are the judge.  At some point, perhaps this blog will become successful enough financially that I will be able to devote more time to it, with the eventual goal being making this my full-time job (oh, such a dream!)  In the meantime, we will have to simply do the best that we can.